Perhaps the most well-known and locally loved summer berry at Lake of the Ozarks is the blackberry. The vine's white flowers shower the low shrubs at the edge of forests in the springtime, and they give way to glorious tart-and-sweet berries, usually just after the Fourth of July.
The blackberry is the star in the featured drink for Shorty Pants Lounge and Marina in 2017. Prepared by Bartender Courtney Johnson, the Blackberry on Beale Street begins with muddled blackberries, simple syrup, freshly squeezed lime juice, and Deep Eddy’s Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka.
Poured over that sweetened, but tangy base is a 50-50 blend of Freixenet Blanc du Blanc sparkling wine and a citrus soda. The result is a memory of summer’s goodness, fresh and refreshing all at once. Check out the recipe below, and head to Shorty Pants to taste what else is on the menu!
The Recipe for Blackberry on Beale Street from Shorty Pants Lounge and Marina
- In a 16-ounce cup, place a handful of fresh blackberries.
- Add approximately 2 Tb of homemade simple syrup (recipes available online or in books about cocktails)
- Add 2 Tb freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Muddle the three ingredients listed above using a wooden spoon or a muddler.
- Add 1 ½ ounces of Deep Eddy’s Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka.
- Add ice to fill the cup approximately half full.
- Pour over the muddled fruit mix and ice, a 50-50 blend of Freixenet Blanc de Blanc Sparkling Wine and Citrus Soda.
- Stir vigorously or pour into a larger glass, shake, and return to the original cup.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Sip and enjoy.