VERSAILLES, Mo. — Fires scorched two Versailles homes on Tuesday, Feb. 12.

Versailles City Fire Department firefighters were dispatched at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12 to a house fire located on West Jasper Road in Versailles.

A grandmother and two children were at home at the time the fire started. Versailles City Police Department officers were the first to arrive on the scene. “When we got there, we were told by the officers that they had already evacuated the home,” Versailles City Fire Chief Dwayne Miller said.

Arriving firefighters found smoke and flames showing in a bathroom. “A carpet in front of the bathtub and the linoleum were on fire,” Chief Miller said. 

Firefighters pulled a three-quarter inch line and quickly extinguished that fire. “We then noticed that the exhaust fan had burn marks around it,” Chief Miller said. They removed the fan and discovered fire smoldering in the attic. That fire was extinguished. “After we walked outside we saw additional smoke coming out of a vent,” Chief Miller said. At this time, firefighters reentered the residence and pulled the ceiling in the bathroom and an adjacent bedroom to get to the fire. Several boards and electrical wiring were found to be burning. Firefighters sprayed the area with water to extinguish that fire.

Damage to the home was moderate. The cause of fire was determined to be due to the electric exhaust fan.

Firefighters left the scene at 6:45 a.m.

Mutual aid was provided by the Versailles City Police, the Versailles Rural Fire Department and Mid Mo Ambulance. Three apparatus and eight firefighter’s responded to this fire.

Wood Stove Believed to be the Cause of House Fire 

The Versailles Rural Fire Department responded to a call to a fire at 1:23 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12 to a home on Inlet Road, off Highway W, in Versailles. 

According to Versailles Rural Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Owen Hoover, the initial page was to a natural cover fire that had spread into the woods with structures in danger.

Never Miss A Headline!
Sign Up For The Lake Alert To Get Top News And Lake Events Sent To Your Inbox. Subscribe Now!

“When we arrived on the scene we found the fire had not spread into the woods. A wood pile was on fire and the fire had spread to a house,” Chief Miller said.

Versailles City Fire Department responded with mutual aid. The side of the house was on fire. Firefighters used a combination of water and foam from a brush truck and a pumper truck to attack the fire.

Siding, gutters, shingles and the cover over a wood pile were damaged by the fire. The cause of the fire is suspected to be from ashes and/or sparks from a wood stove.

The homeowner had stepped outside to feed feral cats and discovered the fire and she called 911. “She said it was very unusual for her to go outside at that time of day,” Chief Miller said. “It’s a good thing she did, or it could have turned out differently.”

Firefighters left the scene at 2:33 p.m. Seven apparatus and 14 firefighters responded to this fire.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments