LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. – Each year during Missouri's annual "Back To School Sales Tax Holiday" weekend, families get an opportunity to save a bundle on back-to-school shopping by not being charged state sales tax on qualifying purchases.
This year's sales tax weekend will take place Friday, August 2 - Sunday, August 4. On these days, state sales tax will not be applied to the purchase of the following items:
- any article of clothing less than or equal to $100 including shoes and disposable diapers. Items such as jewelry, handbags, scarves are excluded
- standard school supplies not to exceed $50 per purchase.
- desktop and laptop computers less than or equal to $1,500
- computer software less than or equal to $350
- computer peripheral devices such as printers, keyboards, computer mouses, scanners, graphics cards, etc less than or equal to $1,500
Though the sales tax holiday applies to all of Missouri in regards to state sales tax, individual counties and cities can choose whether or not they want to participate when it comes to county and city sales tax.
At Lake of the Ozarks, the greatest tax-free savings will be seen by those who choose to do their back-to-school shopping in Lake Ozark or Osage Beach, where they will be exempt from paying state, county, or city sales tax on eligible items. Here's a breakdown of Lake-area counties and cities, and whether they're participating in the sales tax holiday or not. ("Yes" means the county/city is participating in the tax-free holiday, so no sales tax will be charged by that entity.)
Tax-Free Counties At The Lake, Aug 2-4
Miller - Yes
Camden - No
Morgan - No
Tax-Free Cities At The Lake, Aug 2-4
Lake Ozark - Yes
Osage Beach - Yes
Camdenton - Yes
Sunrise Beach - Yes
Gravois Mills - Yes
Versailles - Yes
Eldon - No
Laurie - No