LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. — A boat explosion came dangerously close to setting off an inferno at Paradise Bar & Grill's docks on Monday. A Sunrise Beach man was hospitalized Monday evening after gas fumes in his boat exploded, at the Paradise docks.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, 47-year-old Dan Hall was refueling his 1987 Four Winns cabin cruiser at the 24 Mile Marker, a little before 7 p.m. Hall finished refueling and attempted to start the boat, but, according to the Patrol’s report, it caused the remaining gas fumes to ignite. The Patrol did not say whether or for how long Hall had run his blower between refueling and starting the boat.
(More details below, and safety tips on avoiding a boat explosion after refueling.)
The security camera video shows Hall starting the boat when the flames burst from the engine compartment behind him. Flames shot an estimated six or seven feet into the air, well above Hall's head. The female dock attendant was on the dock at the front of the boat, but was walking toward the stern when the explosion happened. She jumped backward, and then ran to get help, as Hall stumbled backwards and jumped off the side of the boat into the water.
Hall sustained moderate injuries and was taken by ambulance to Lake Regional Hospital for treatment. The boat had extensive damage and was towed by Lake Tow.
Two boat explosions at Lake of the Ozarks docks this summer sparked important discussions about safe refueling and, in particular, the correct use of a boat's blower.
LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. — A boat explosion killed a boater and seriously injured another, at…
They had the fire put out before emergency personnel even arrived.