LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. — A Kansas man was hospitalized on Sunday afternoon after a PWC exploded while he was standing over it.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at around 1 p.m. on Sept. 2, 21-year-old Brandon Davis, of Olathe, Kan., was trying to start a 2000 Sea Doo that was docked at Ivy Bend Resort. The resort is located at the 58 Mile Marker of Lake of the Ozarks. The PWC exploded while Davis was standing over it, according to the report.

Davis sustained minor injuries and was taken by ambulance to University Hospital in Columbia. The PWC was a total loss, according to the Patrol.

This was not the first PWC explosion at the Lake this summer: on June 29, a PWC caught fire while a person was working on it, and on July 8, an Eldon woman was seriously injured when a Polaris PWC exploded while she was trying to start it, and on June 29.

While the Patrol did not report the suspected cause of Sunday’s explosion beyond saying it was “fuel-related,” PWCs require extra caution because they do not have blowers—like most boats have—to eliminate gas fumes. Instead, they have a “passive” system that allows airflow through the engine compartment to eliminate fumes, but when the wind is not blowing and the PWC is not moving, fumes can accumulate. Operators are advised to lift the seat to check for fumes and allow any fumes to dissipate before starting the watercraft.

0
0
1
2
1

Load comments